Monday, October 12, 2020

Dyscourse

Dyscourse is a "choice driven narrative game".  (24/150 random choice)

The setting is a plane crash where you and five other survivors live or die based on the multiple point selections you make at various decision points.  There is no real apparent intelligence to the decision in the selection - looking for food or working on your shelter, you only know by repeated play throughs which you really should be doing based on the result.

The art style is similar to South Park, mobile cutouts and simple click through dialog boxes.

Nothing in the story made me want to play it again though, I had to make Sophie's Choice a couple times based on what food I had - but there was no "oh my gosh" to compel me to feel like I needed to see any of the other optional outcomes.

Apparently the big Wow! they were going for in the game is that your individual choices make the story vary in massively different ways, so in order to 'get' the game, you need to play through it 3 or more times.  Not going to happen here if the first play through is so bland ... I typed that ellipse and then felt a bit guilty.  So for the sake of knowing I just did a second playthrough starting at Day 2.

Because I sacrificed myself for Jolene, my arm was bitten off - Jolene ended up dying anyways, and George who lived turned out to be an asshole and caused someone else to die.  Different but not in an amazing way.

Novelty game.  Designed for achievement hunters.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment