Monday, April 25, 2022

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Risen 3: Titan Lords is a sword and sorcery RPG with a pirate theme.   You are killed and brought back to life, looking for your sister.  It's chock full of dialog options, and it looks decent in cutscenes - but the characters have no more than speaking expressions.  It was unsettling seeing my sister "cry" over my dead body shaking with a slight smile, kind of felt like laughter.

This has quests that make sense though -- you're reborn with nothing and need to build your life back, so doing an errand to earn gold makes perfect sense.  If a guy wants to pay me to put flowers on his wife's grave - done, I had other quests in that zone anyways.

The fighting mechanics are pretty weak, and as a swordsman pretty much every slow attack is interruptible by your foe with a quick triple attack, so it's a lot of dodging and waiting for opportunities, or having your companion tank and swap aggro back and forth.

The main reason I'm quitting this one is I can't stay awake playing it.  There are SO much dialog and story exposition, compulsion is making me wander every dialog tree - and as good as the dialog might be (not necessarily the delivery), the lack of anything beyond that makes me ... makes m... zzzzzzzz.

If I played this 15 years ago, it would have been amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment