Friday, May 6, 2022

Trek to Yomi

Trek to Yomi is a highly stylized side scroller that feels like a Kurosawa film - you take on the role of a young samurai, Hiroki, in defense of your home.   The region is invaded by an evil warlord - and when you rush to the defense of the neighboring village, your own is ransacked and your love/ally/daughter of your teacher is slain.

Only because the plot forced it, I was killed by the warlord as well -- I had him in a blender flurry of my blades, whereupon you decide why you might need to fight back to life, the "Trek to Yomi" - do you want to return for duty, love or revenge.

I chose revenge at each of these junctures and fought my way through hordes of people who were condemning me for abandoning them to their doom as I went to help the neighboring village, and finally the avatar defending the way back.  Constantly harangued by dialog that that's "not the right choice" - I eventually fought my way back to my burning village to fight the warlord, who ended up being Kagerou - the bandit from the very beginning who died killing my master, and who apparently fought back from the underworld with bonus demon powers.

I turned on the blender again.

This was a fun little 4-hour quick romper stomper released yesterday, and a game I probably would have passed by if I didn't feel the freedom of not having any more games in the Steam backlog.   <3


Kagerou and I played "who's got your nose" as a young samurai


No comments:

Post a Comment