Tuesday, January 7, 2014

To The Moon & Organization

It's back to the daily work grind, so I imagine games to span multiple days.

I cleaned up my list a bit, removing a few:
Dragon Nest - free-to-play MMO downloaded for the boys
Dungeon Party - free-to-play multiplayer arcade
Garry's Mod - no real objective, just a modelling room really
Lone Survivor - I've already played through most of this, and don't want to suffer it again.
Rising Storm - This was free with Red Orchestra 2
Rocksmith 2014 - Not even sure why this was on there...
Sniper Elite - Sniper Elite V2 was on the list.
Starseed Pilgrim - Played already, ... enough.





But I played "To The Moon" - Episode 1 of an indie company story game where you play scientists that are supposed to search through someone's memories to adjust and give them a different life path memory in the last few moment of their life.

I bought this game based on community feedback and a reddit thread that asked "what games make you cry?"  I should try to find that thread again and read what exactly about it makes you cry.  I got choked up at a few points on purpose, imagining my own life and if I would change anything or would nothing keep me from my wife/family, but mainly I found it to be an exercise in how much I will tolerate in order to get story to progress.  I won't suffer this again.

The game plays in old japanese RPG fashion, where the user has to search scenes for "memory icons" in order to progress to the next memory, meanwhile scenes from the old mans past plan in reverse.  They tug at the obvious heart strings - this is a lonely old guy with no heirs or friends left alive, whose autistic wife who couldn't bear him children died years before - and you're stepping back through the major moments of his relationship with his wife played as goofy 8-bit RPG with scientific observers making sarcastic remarks while hunting for clue bubbles.

That feeling where you're like "oh please let this be the end?" - and you see "Act 3" appear on the screen.  This game has that.

If I could go back and apply these 4 hours to any other game - if I could beat my record for solving expert Mine Sweeper, I would feel I would have made about the same level of life accomplishment.  It's not because the story is bad, it's just - predictable in every way.  They try repeatedly to punch you in the sad, delivering a very plain "I wouldnt' change a thing" story "even if they force me to change, somehow we would end up together" love story with a terrible slow frustrating navigation to click-through-dialog delivery system.

To the Moon - do not want, I delete you.

No comments:

Post a Comment