Saturday, January 6, 2024

STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor™

Jedi:Survivor is the continuation of the Cal Kestis storyline and the sequel to Fallen Order.

If you've read this blog, you'd know I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, I love the (original) canonical universe and therefore I hold it to a high standard.   I was distracted by a few other pursuits when I first tried this and it did not grab me ... but when I went to go write this, I realized I hadn't really given it a fair chance.

Now I have.   It was great, not too embarrassed to say I might have shed a tear even in the drama, there was a "Micah-sized" double-cross that caught me completely unaware, I had chills when Darth Vader stepped around the corner when I was trying to flee the archives.  Well done.

I guess the one complaint I have is with Darth Vader -- and in general all games like this that rely on you struggling hard with combat.  First, it's Darth Frikkin' Vader, the most powerful dark lord next to the Emperor Palpatine -- he should cleave me ruthlessly and dispassionately.  I should fight to barely survive and be thankful if I do.  The terror I felt when seeing Vader was something of my own manufacture -- I parried his shit, I was on the offensive and as I took him down in 25% increments I was given a cutscene were it showed I was really struggling.  I wasn't.  He wins in the end, but in that Bushido 'one second oops your dead' way after I made him a clown.

If you are going to have a boss kick my ass, you should do it in a more cheaty way where it soaks damage or reacts quicker and has a moveset that make me seethe with frustration.   Respect your big bads or you will develop a Superman problem (constantly needing to outdo yourself with the next bigger/tougher thing).




No comments:

Post a Comment