Monday, January 9, 2023

Hellpoint

Hellpoint is another Dark Souls clone set in the far future.

It's also parallels Dark Souls in that the various stories are a bit tough to track and I could really use a VaatiVidya deep dive ASMR explanation, but the gist of it is this -- you're in a space station in the far future after some cataclysmic event has destroyed humanity at least in some form.   

You meet "The Author" who is suss immediately and everything is a bit meta in regards to him as the controller of it all.   Effectively you are one of his constructs, sent about to gather all sorts of information and fight creatures and bosses that are now resident in the realm.   Along the way you encounter another construct (like yourself?) -- and discover that the Author is the avatar of some  massive AI.   

I think you are being set up to fight it, as if being AI was the terrible bit.   But this "AI" was my creator, not my antagonist from what I saw.  So when the decision tree presented me with fight it or pay obeisance, I took a knee and let it absorb my knowledge like a good construct.  That's the way I role ... credits.

 Everything was very Japanese in style for the adversaries, especially the bosses.  The game was well done but had a few frustrating bugs but nothing you couldn't deal with once anticipated (projectiles going through cover means dodge all projectiles).   The worst was a couple boss fights in a small enough room that the camera angle was the biggest battle.

There is an expansion pack -- Blue Sun.  I'll probably play, but I'll follow a guide from the beginning -- the game hid important items, so backtracking to get them was a bit tedious once I was lost enough to look up where they were.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment