Sunday, January 23, 2022

Oxygen Not Included

Oxygen Not Included is a base building game where you and two companions are marooned on a planet and mine/construct your way to survive.  

It's got a pretty deep advancement tree, but that process takes some learning because you're dealing with a limited amount of growth space (a 2D grid) for your colony.  You run into issues with needing more power, or more cots in what you establish as the sleeping quarters, and no real easy room for expansion without clever planning and envisioning the eventual design, all while working within the randomly generated structure of the planet.

I can see why it's got an "overwhelmingly positive" review on Steam, it's pretty fun.  I think I'll just shelve this one in the play again cabinet, but I need to end the current game.   My world spawn had a lot of water above the starting position, and I've been struggling from the start with that primarily (and everything generally) as I learned.  Wasn't killed ... but it was going to be bleak going forward for the crew.


... well I couldn't resist building again with what I knew and got to what I think is a pretty solid mid-game.  I will need to research a little more what to do to deal with things outside of my initial zone, as everything else is "hot".



No comments:

Post a Comment