Thursday, January 27, 2022

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey

I am, in some ways, reluctant to stop playing Ancestors.  It is a well crafted game with a lot of depth and a minor bit of tedium.

It's a beautiful looking game where you play as an early hominid without any sort of tool skills, but as you go through and inspect and overcome your fears, your neurons expand and you are able to do more and more skills - like pass items between your hands and craft rudimentary tools.

The world is full of dangerous animals, which encourages you to use your senses when travelling, with smell/hearing being extra sensory nodes to focus on, with doing so increasing your neural powers, so it's a very organic way of levelling up, by locking these advancements in a family clan line.

The bit of tediousness is that you have to manually groom and mate and pair up and have babies every generation, optimally six which is a lot of cut scenes to obligate you to have to skip before you go explore.

The reason I'm flagging this as "done enough" is that now that I have figured out the world (herbs to heal any ailment) and become deadly with a spear, it's one button quick time event combat - nothing can touch me - and even if I was completely caught off-guard sleeping on the forest floor and a saber-toothed jaguar chomped me hard, I know a berry that I can mash into a salve for that.  That leaves the rest of the game as training neurons to being able to walk upright and not get sick to your stomach when you eat certain mushrooms.



No comments:

Post a Comment