Monday, July 7, 2014

Magic 2014

I've played magic the card game like a fiend, starting when the comic book store I frequented talked me into buying a few beta decks.  It depresses me somewhat when I search ebay and see what an alpha black lotus can go for these days, I had three (one mint).

This game relies on that nostalgia though, there is no story or incentive - just a few dialog blops telling you who you need to attack next. The interface works well, and might be a great vehicle for playing other humans.  I only played the computer opponents, who each had a perfectly crafted themed deck.  Most took two games to beat, the first to see how their cards combo-ed together, but the AI was pretty basic - focused mainly on performing the 'trick' to their decks and never reacting to the style I used the entire game built on the starter deck, a green trampler.

Was it fun?  "Sure" - I suppose now that I've beaten all the main players, I could try and beat each of these opponents with the different themed decks I unlocked.  ... Nah.

As a vehicle to multiplay with other humans, this game is probably good. -- personally I would love to have constructed one of the great old decks I had played in the past.  But I didn't want to buy or spend 100 hours making them, so I'm done and uninstalling until 2015+.

1 comment: