Friday, May 23, 2014

Dead Rising 3

This was the game that almost pushed me over the edge to get the Xbox One, and probably would have if there was backwards compatibility.  I was a huge fan of both flavors of Dead Rising 2 (the normal and the fan requested "Off the Record"), it was an obvious progression from #1 and they got it the way Dead Island didn't.  It's fun to build overpowered combo weapons and wade through hordes of undead like a badass, but that can't be the entirety of your game experience.

Dead Rising 2 had amazing psychos impeding your progress, each one a window into intense crazy.  Dead Rising 3 uses the same construct, but the psychos are for the most part - lackluster.  

In the effort to make the game more approachable, the game has been dumbed down way too much.  Instead of having to learn where items are to craft them, or making it one of a few crafting tables - you have the ability to combine anything at any time, even autoselecting the craft pattern for you.  Plus you are given a locker at a number of different safe houses where you can create with no resources any weapon you've previously crafted.  It got to a point I wouldn't really bother creating anything but the most recent collected blueprint so I would have the template and then use these safe-houses for my overpowered combo weapons.  The same can be said for the craftable vehicles - there is no challenge to create them, you can't even be interrupted while constructing.  If your vehicle blows up from overuse or crashing - there are simple vehicles all over the road to jump in and drive, but I would only drive to my car ports and load up on my next zombie crusher.

Even though the obvious answer would be to force myself not to play with these enhancements - it's my job as the player to come up with an easier / better way to manage my inventory or required resources, if it's designed into the game to be easy - I'm going to do it easy and look for an easier way even.  This is exactly what I did - when a survivor mission was to bring 5 pieces of zombie flesh, I didn't collect them - I went to a safehouse and created 5 from my locker.  There is no need to pick up a shotgun hoping for the chance to find a machete, oftentimes very obvious crafting items were left together in a pile of detritus, and combo craft-able cars were parked right next to each other.

Was it fun? "sure"  Was it worth it?  Yes and No - it got played and will continue to get played only because it's the only okay title we have for Xbox One.  I really expected more.





No comments:

Post a Comment