Thursday, May 8, 2014

Anna - Extended Edition

This is a mind-twist/horror game with a clunky point-click interface and unintuitive puzzles.  I'm going to assume that most people are playing with some sort of guide because very little of what I've done makes any sense outside of the recipes they spelled out carefully some books.  Many times I fell to clickity-clicking everything in the environment with a new inventory item I picked up.

You play as someone in a dream(?) who feels compelled to explore a house he feels he knows.  In the course of exploring the house, you hear voices of a man arguing with "Anna", it's later you have an Angel Heart moment where you realize that you are the man.  The story is that you fell in all consuming love with a statue of Mary Magdalene (Anna?) and stole it from the church after you were kicked out for obsessive worship.  In either jealous rage or perhaps to end your torment, when your wife found out, she destroyed it with an ax.  You snapped and presumably killed her and your children.

They do a good job of messing with your mind.  I think it was to my overall benefit that I played so long without a guide, I would get to a lulled and slightly annoyed state - then a door would slam, or I'd hear someone screaming for help, or weeping - and it would jolt me back.  One thing they did very well are their line-of-sight gags, changing things that are just out of visual range (think "Weeping Angels") - I had a few good jump scares when looking back over my shoulder.

There is no combat, the only way you can perish is by losing your sanity - which was about four hours in for me when I decided to follow a guide and plow through it.


No comments:

Post a Comment