Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Don't Starve

I find it funny that what modern games call "permadeth", used to just be called "game over".

Don't Starve is another one of these play-until-you-die games ... and it is very easy to die.

You begin with nothing, and gather things to survive - if you starve or your fire goes out in the dark, you die.

I've played over 12 hours and still haven't made it past the first world, but that's mainly because of my inability to resist big shiny red buttons.  This game favors clown-fish-in-a-reef exploration, you should keep to a small known area and avoid a lot of the world - I roam, and I really want to find out what kind of treasure/meat a thing drops.

I've resisted using the Wiki to do research, this is a game where someone could probably build the ultimate food generator setup and that would probably spoil things.   Though you are forced to deal with and eat off of the world you are dealt.

This again is a game that is very simple in design, but executes well enough that there is a lot of repeat play.



No comments:

Post a Comment