Friday, May 24, 2024

Mortal Shell

Mortal Shell is a love letter to Dark Souls.  You play as a ... fleshy thing.  Think an anatomy poster of a human skeletal system covered in muscles, and you are able to inhabit various "Shells" which are mindless bodies, this is your stat choices - and one of 4 weapons.   In combat, if you take critical damage - you get knocked out of the shell and are super vulnerable, you can jump back into your shell again but you can only get saved from death in this way once.

The ability to turn to stone at any point, made it very friendly to a Dark Souls player -- I didn't have to learn any of the boss fights really.  After I learned to use mechanic well, almost every boss cycle became jump attack, stone, run to safety until recharge despite any abilities they had.  I fought the first boss ten times, every other boss was one or two shot at most.    

Where it probably suffered from most is level design - I'm prone to getting lost, and I've also experienced amazing dungeon level designs.  I like doors that lead back to hub rooms, I like ladders you can kick down, I like opening shortcuts along the way -- the prospect of going through an area carefully and killing everything is fun once, then I want to run past the grunts on the way to something more interesting.  These were long and linear, perhaps intentionally so because you had to replay them in hard mode in order to escape once you killed the baddies in each of the towers and ... extracted their gland.

This is a great game for a small developer.




No comments:

Post a Comment