Monday, January 26, 2015

Dishonored

Dishonored holds the spot for the last game I finished in 2014, effectively ending this exercise.  I might keep track still, but seeing as this is coming a month late ... I wouldn't count on me.

Dishonored was in my Steam library for a long time, and it took the convenience of it being a free game with Xbox Gold for me to finally play it.  Keep in mind the review comes a bit late, but let me see if I fire up the engines on what I loved and hated about this game.

I was compelled to play it, you are part of a plot where the queen is killed and her daughter kidnapped in front of you.  Standing accused, you leave a trail of bodies as you hunt for the girl and take your bloody vengeance.  But you end up saving her rather soon into the game only to be betrayed by your allies because "the public would never accept blahblahblah".  So basically, just about everyone dies in the end and you take your bloody vengeance once again.

The game plays like a mish mosh of a few games, call it an Arkham/Bioshock/Hitman - but a bad version of each.  There was no costuming, so figuring out the puzzle of an area didn't involve creativity.  There are upgrades that didn't really matter.  I gave up trying to perfectly stealth missions because it just wasn't enough fun to try again, invariably my missions would devolve into a shootout and everyone would end up dead because the AI wasn't great shooter AI.

Unfortunately, this gave me the 'bad' ending.  After seeing me come home soaked in the gore of so many failed stealth missions, she decides that she's going to be a tyrannical ruler and butcher people who don't agree with her, just like me.  Ouch.




No comments:

Post a Comment