Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Walking Dead - Season 1

This TellTale engine is perfect for a story game, I'm really happy for them to have gotten this license - they worked gold in these first 5 episodes.

Early on I established my motivation when I met a young girl hiding out in her house, "I'd murder the world to save this little girl."  There's no way to be 100% hero in a well done dystopian future, this game does a great job of putting you in those uncomfortable situations where you have to make a rapid decision.

You play as Lee Everett, recently convicted of a crime of passion that you did/didn't commit?  You escape when the patrol car you are being transported in crashes in attempt to avoid an early zombie.  Clementine's parents were out of town during the outbreak in Savannah, providing you with motivation and destination.  You soon encounter other survivors and are put into somewhat of a leadership despite your apparent checkered past.  True to form of the Walking Dead comic, the zombies are a backdrop to the real story of twisted survivor interaction.


The story takes a John Marston'ish turn in the final episode when Clem is kidnapped and while searching for her, Lee is bit.  In that moment, the story became a short story -- and my motivation turned from "protect the girl" to "find her a group I can trust and help her become a survivor".  The penultimate scene in partially blurred vision as I help her realize she can take care of herself, pushing the bat towards her with my foot - no energy to take out the crawler.  Tell her she's strong, and get her to put a bullet in my brain.

Fade to black.  Hell yeah.  ... way to tell a story!

The final conversation with Clem:




No comments:

Post a Comment