Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Darksiders 2

I loved playing as the Horseman War in Darksiders 1, and though it was pointed out to me that the game is similar to "Zelda" I was caught up in the story, mainly because I was deeply involved in it -- someone cracked the seals and released me to wreak havoc and mass destruction, but I was punked?  It was time to go to town, recover my powers, find who framed me - and make him pay.

.. and I did.

The final scene leaves you speaking with Uriel, and feeling epic and SO ready for Darksiders 2:

Darksiders 2 ... You play as Death, and though the idea is badass - the implemenation is dumb-ass.  You are a sass talking goofball little brother to War, with a mission to rescue your brother by resurrecting humanity.  Albeit not a bad motivation for a character, but again - the implementation made it a stupid video game, not an epic struggle.  You are a worker bee for every person you encounter and each has an agenda or task for you to complete before they offer you aid.  Almost invariably you end up getting double-crossed and having to kill the person you just got the Thingofmightypowerup for.

If I'm Death - and my focus is to rescue my brother from the corrupt Charred Council, and you offer me a mission of retrieving the Stone of Whocares from the Valley of Notonmypath, you can stuff your mission in the cavity left behind by my reaper blades, I've already walked past your corpse.

Though it has some epic looking bosses, the mechanics of fighting are a bit too button mashy.  The early creatures are easily dodged, but eventually you become reliant on gear upgrades rather than skill because they set so many creatures at once against you that there isn't a way to avoid damage at all, which turns it into an AOE / DPS race.

The game is Zelda on steroids, every section has a locked door, or the perfect combination of awkward weight plates to step on for gates to raise and lower, you have to traverse of the same section numerous times as various pathways open.  They try to add different mechanics to add to your navigation puzzle solving experience, like a portal gun and the ability to split yourself into two people.  Navigation and climbing puzzles just .. isn't .. fun, without the mechanics of climbing and navigation being fun itself.

One of the things they did brilliantly in the game, however, is the way you restore your saved game.  While loading, you are given a number of scene sketches while the Crowfather summarizes the recent game accomplishments and reminds you what you are to be doing -- leaving the start screen as an idle Death animation, once you click start - the scene simply pans back and you begin in the correct area.  Seamless.

I'm glad I played it, but I'm not planning on any DLC.  I'd play a sequel, because I enjoyed #1 so much and I'm invested in the characters -- War really was "Leonidas badass".  But then, that is the same reason I saw Highlander 3 in the theaters ...

No comments:

Post a Comment