Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Shadow of War

Shadow of War is the sequel to Shadow of Morgoth where you play as Talion, a ranger that is inhabited by the spirit of Celebrimbor, who was the original forger of the rings of power.   You create a new ring in order to rival the dark lord.

These games do a great thing with what they have coined the "Nemesis System" where the orcs remember and evolve after your encounter.   In the original game - I had an undying nemesis that eventually was so mutilated from my repeated killing of him that it drove him insane.   This time I had a legit nemesis - a guy who was pretty much invulnerable to every attack I had, had a "no chance" perk that means you don't get to escape a mortal wound, and had a ranged attack that would mortally wound you.   Every time I encountered him he just got stronger.

Eventually I found an orc that I was able to command that could be his rival and set him as my champion - then repeatedly shamed this guy until he was super low level. 

This also had a really thoughtful tribute to one of the developers who was nicknamed "Forthog" who died of cancer during the production of the sequel.  He will occasionally show up and rescue you if you are up against an overwhelming foe -- and then there is a sequence the added at the end of the credits where he slow walks into battle against a horde of orcs.  <3 Forthog.




No comments:

Post a Comment